Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ramadan 1433 - Bassam & Bassem

I had the phenomenal privilege of leading (at least for a bit) a remarkable group of leaders in the Academy. I have visited some already this month in this blog, but I want to acknowledge two men who come to my mind first when I think of the construct of leadership. Bassam and Bassem lead in two very unique ways, and I would hate to have to keep up with either of them. Passion manifests itself in various forms, and has to decided to be very creative as it inhabits these two men. I have never been around two more authentic individuals.
Bassem is a quiet man who is deeply and sincerely motivated in his work. I didn't get to see him teach, I didn't have to. He is the only teacher I have ever met that cannot speak about his profession without tearing up a bit. I imagine he teaches as he parents - lovingly, patiently, and firmly. Bassem is one of the academy members who serves as an emulsifier of sorts, always concerned about the group, always reaching out to unite us and keep us together (the male mudeera kabeera :).  During our week-long Academy workshop, I heard more testimonies to Bassem's dedication and passion in the classroom than I could possibly remember. I respect him a great deal, and more importantly, so do his peers.
Bassam, on the other hand, has no quiet gear for his passion. I have used the term "force of nature" already to describe a member of this group, and I probably need a stronger nom de querre for Bassam - he reminds me of the tornado that swept through Oklahoma in 1999 (in the best possible way of course) - in a area of the country most often rocked by these phenomena, that particular storm caused the meteorologists to change the scale they measured such things with. Bassam does the same; he raises the scales that the rest of must now be judged by, and does so humbly. Bassam could have done this Academy project without me, he has all the tools and skills (more so probably), but he participated equally with the other supervisors and teachers creating a wonderful sense of equality and partnership. I have seen him work with young people in his program in Amman, and have never seen a more wonderful mentor and more capable peer.
When I started the academy I was naively concerned with sustainability and a possible over-dependence on my contributions - knowing these two men has made me slightly embarrassed for that unfounded worry. Both have worked hard to keep people together, to push the academy forward, and to pave the way for more teachers to benefit from the experience. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Academy is in strong and capable hands. After all, once you have heard Bassam sing a rousing song about a fly, how could you doubt anything?
Brothers Bassem and Bassam

5 comments:

  1. tnx dear michael . i don't think i deserve all this praise . all i do is coz i adore teaching .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d like to take a sec to talk about Bassem too, if you allow me. I friended Bassem lately, and in this short time that we chatted I realized what a wonderful guy he is. A person who seeks knowledge and improvement in a respectful and descent way. Nothing you can have for him but respect and appreciation. We are never old to learn something new, and he literary teaching me and im sure teaching others how to be a better learners. R Z Awad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bassem and Bassam ... i will miss u both guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bassem is a great model for what a " Teacher" really is... And Mr. Bassam, No words can describe him!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To him i should express my gratitude " Mr Bassam" coz he opened a new avenues for me " The academy" My words are unable to carry thankfulness and admiration !!!!!!! Thank you .
    Bassem is witty and very informative person and i admire him as a great brother . i really appreciate the time and effort you spent for the group .

    The Stranger.

    ReplyDelete