Friday, September 11, 2015

Pelagie



Pelagie
 
 
Pelagie was my lifeline at the UNHCR camp in Zongo!  She was in charge of many practical administrative details, and of me while I was there. She took care of my lodging, meals, laundry, and all the crazy requests I had for work and gifts. She is a great organizer and very patient. Though I am not sure she understood the word patient before my arrival there :)
 
Pelagie is a very friendly and kind woman. She is also very intelligent and has a great sense of humor. She can be tough too, in that very appropriate African woman way. I saw her flash a bit of irritation here and there (completely warranted), but behind it was that quick smile and laugh that let you know things are fine but there are expectations. She never was firm with me, most likely as I was so lost on most things. She is highly respected there and knows her job well.
 
I liked to tease Pelagie and she took it wonderfully. One of my habits there was to name trees - most of my African friends didn't really get it at first, particularly when I named the tree below the "Pelagie Tree."  They would look at me strangely until I did the near figure eight gesture with my hands mimicking the female form. At that moment, they would burst out laughing, knowing they could go back and tease her about it (from a safe distance of course). She took it wonderfully and it was a few weeks before I had the courage to show her a picture of the tree. She smiled at me and I knew I was catching a break and getting away with a bit.
 
I am so fortunate when I travel to have wonderful people that take care of me so well that I can focus entirely on my job. Pelagie was that person who watched over me for two months this summer in Africa. She did a wonderful job.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment