Wednesday, May 30, 2012

That Which Lies Beneath

I was pleasantly shocked recently (this doesn't happen much these days) while talking to some Americans about a particularly odious person who had done some despicable things. They had a hard time believing the actions of this individual, as I am sure it sounded like something out of a bad TV movie. Somewhere near the end of my detailed account, I let them know this person was from the Middle East. Immediately, one person gasped and the others were astounded. Almost in symphony, two echoed in a curious chorus, "I thought Muslims couldn't do those things." This really startled me, not so much the statement but the earnest look on their faces. Despite what conscious beliefs they had about Muslims, deep down there was an understanding of a pious and mannered Islamic sensibility that made me feel very proud. Not proud of myself, as I am still an infant in my faith, but of the vast numbers of my brothers and sisters who have won this reputation with thousands and thousands of simple, dignified daily gestures. In a time where my faith has been tested a bit, this was a small but wonderful reminder of everything I endeavor to become. This lesson from a nasty story - sometimes the exception does prove the rule. Alhamdulilah

No comments:

Post a Comment