Friday, March 25, 2011

Leadership Axiom #1

I hope it isn't too presumptuous to offer my insights into leadership, but I have been around the block as it were, supervising people since 1979 (my first gig was running an underground construction crew for a few years while in college). I have since studied leadership theories and philosophies, and have had the occasion to teach some classes. I will offer, in modest installments, some of the important lessons I have learned, if for nothing else, to keep them codified in my own constellation of tools. So, for this inaugural installment, I will begin with my first leadership lesson, at least in terms of starting a new position at a new place:
Beware Those Who Come to You First!
This has been an important lesson for me in that it is very counter intuitive, and I have started off a few assignments in a hole due to my ignorance of its effects. Often, the folks that get to you first have a reason for doing so. Some are just plain helpful, and in this case, there is little danger. Others however, have different motivations: some have exhausted all other avenues of communication and influence, others have negative and/or biased affiliations, and some want commitments or agendas satisfied. In better words, avoid engaging in any commitment, affiliation, or decision too soon in the relationship!
Over and over again, I have seen this dynamic play itself out, even to the extent that other employees would warn me that a "certain person" would be first in line to meet me. I have not become cynical at all about these approaches, I have simply become cautious about engaging in any type of obligation or promise, even if that offer appears to be helpful to me. On the flip side of this issue, I have also learned to seek out those who don't come forward, cautiously though. They too can have their reasons for avoiding a new leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment