Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Touching Base - History Lessons Part II

Unfortunately, this is the article I wrote upon returning....

Touching Base

I have just returned from a two-week trip to London, where I was visiting an Islamic school in the wake of the subway bombings. The lessons I learned there were simple and vivid, as they always are whenever I leave the U.S. Typically, the experience was far from what I expected, yet consistent with my earlier experiences overseas. It seems that I learn a great deal when I travel, only to have the benefits of those lessons ebb away gradually once I return.
Having taught for two years in a small village in Yemen, I thought I knew what to expect from this Saudi Arabian school. Once I got there, however, I found many things that surprised me. I should mention, by the way, that whenever something surprises me, I have found it to be that I was working from some sort of incorrect bias. So when I was surprised that the teachers worked so well together, were open-minded and ready to learn, seemed to be very concerned with the welfare of each other and their students, and that the Muslim women were very open and progressive, I was saddened by my reaction. At this phase in my life, I thought that I had moved past the biases and stereotypes that created this surprise.
At the London school, I worked with Arab, European, Christian, and Muslim teachers from more than twenty countries. I was struck immediately by how important culture, religion, and ethnicity were to these people, and by how little those concepts impeded their work together. There was a tremendous amount of respect and acceptance that surrounded the environment, despite the fact that they weren’t always in agreement. But I had known these things before – what had happened in the past fifteen years that made me forget these lessons? Why was I surprised?
My first inclination was to blame the society I live in. Maybe the U.S.A. is just anti-Arab, and the incessant, subtle images of the media have an inescapable, inculcating effect. Even my most liberal friends, who are pro-Arab in many ways, condemn what they see as the oppression of women in the Middle East. It seems that good news regarding Islam and the Arab world is hard to find. But this is not a satisfactory explanation. After all, I thought I had freed myself from that bias, transcended that mentality.
Perhaps it is me. Perhaps there is an ugliness inside of me that wants to limit the capacity and humanity of others. It might be that it is just plain easier to expect less, to be surprised by decency. If so, how many other groups do I internally demean? But, once again, I thought I had evolved past this kind of influence.
So what is it? I am not sure, and that frightens me. It seems that I have to keep renewing these lessons, because obviously, I am bound to lose them if I don’t live them. This renewal of mine might be what a Christian would call the “Good Fight” or a Muslim a “Jihad” (the effort to remove obstacles that stand between humanity and God). Maybe it’s enough to recognize my susceptibility and to battle it unapologetically. I do know that I am bone-weary of these surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment