Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Farenheit 451


"Ignorance is simply the condition of being unaware - Stupidity is revelling in the fact."
I understand they will burn copies of the Koran in Florida in a few days to celebrate September 11th. As I witness the debate and the world-wide response to this purposed act, I remember a day four years ago when I tried to express similar sentiments and frustrations to a group of Muslim students in London who had defaced an American Flag. Ironically, I suppose, the latter group listened and acquiesced with respect and dignity. I have no such hope for this Florida group.
I was working in an Islamic school in London supervising the academic side of the mission. It was at the height of World Cup fever in Europe, and the art teacher had made a nice collage of the participating team's flags on a wall on the boy's side. Shortly after he put the art piece up, several students ripped off the American Flag. The teacher learned the identity of the boys, and I had the opportunity to talk to several of them. I was incensed initially at their violation of their teacher's work, something he had labored at and cared for. I was also concerned about the desecration of the flag, hoping I could get them to see it for something more complex and meaningful than a banner raised by an often hostile nation.
I met with three of the boys who knew they were in trouble. I was very serious, and I opened with what I thought would reach them first, their violation of their popular teacher's work. They apologized and admitted it was wrong, also acknowledging their understanding that they had hurt him beyond their intention. It was a good start. I moved on to a more esoteric tack, addressing the violation of a symbol. I knew they hated much of what they saw of America in their world. Oddly, it reflected my own feelings coming aware in the 70's as and American teenager. I understood what they felt, I just wanted them to see past the images they had been raised with to something deeper, something that had taken me forty years to appreciate. I began slowly, telling them that a flag stood for a lot of things, much like the Koran or the Bible. It was a symbol people found faith in, especially during difficult times. I told them about mothers who reluctantly sent their sons to war, to their deaths. Those mothers received flags in recognition of their sacrifice, their loss few of us could understand. I told them of the tens of thousands of Americans who did not agree with the current war, but supported their government, and the flag that represented what they wanted in their country - justice, peace, a better life for their children, a better life for all the world's children. I told them there were countless Americans who supported Palestine and Iraq, and sent money and resources to help. These Americans had the same flag. It is a symbol of hope, what we could be, what we should be. The ideals it was founded in flow from the Bible, from the Koran, from the Torah. Some people use it falsely, just as some misuse our sacred books. I just asked them to consider the faith and feelings of those people who wanted their flag to fly above a better, more compassionate land.
The American flag was not defaced again at the school. I am not sure it wasn't because they felt bad about their teacher's work, or if I had conveyed a different concept to them. They had listened to me though, and I do believe they think there is one American who wants to be proud of his flag, and should be given the chance to do so.
*On a lighter, related note - I came to school one morning after the American team had performed rather poorly. I walked over to the girl's elementary school where they were in morning parade. As I ambled up, two very young girls looked at me, sighed and slowly covered their faces in shame for my teams abyssmal performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment