Monday, April 15, 2019

A Fan

I was over at Hazem's shop tonight. He has agreed to rent the back of the shop to me so I can have a semi-permanent workshop space. For the past seven years, I have been dragging my tools around to other places to work on my projects. Loading the truck, unloading the truck, setting up, working for several hours, cleaning up, taking it down, reloading the truck, then unloading it every time I work is tiresome. I am happy to have this new space to say the least.
In the back of the shop, there is a large garage door with a row of windows in it. It is handy because I can back up to the door to unload lumber. Tonight, after Hazem left, I was working on some more bottle carriers for the upcoming gala. We will auction them for student scholarships. It was just before sundown and I was working hard on the carriers. At one point, I had a very strange feeling and I looked up and over at the windows in the door. There was a young man (perhaps 30) staring intently at me. It didn't startle me, but it was awkward for a few moments. He smiled broadly, pointed at the bench where I was working, then gave me a big thumbs up. I thought maybe he was developmentally delayed as he just continued to watch me with that funny grin. I turned back to my work, but he stayed at the window. I could feel his presence behind me, but it didn't bother me. If it were my shop, I would have opened the door and invited him in. After about 30 minutes, I heard a light tap on the window and I turned to see him smiling and waving goodbye. I smile too and waved.
As I get older, I appreciate these brief communions with their simple gestures. It makes me feel human.

No comments:

Post a Comment