Wednesday, January 10, 2018

I Don't Support The Military

Yes, I suppose it is a provocative title, but no, I do not support the military as I do not support the police, teachers, doctors, any group in general. Further, when I see people proudly saying they do support these entities globally, I really think they are making different statements. For example, to support the police (globally) is a nice way to pronounce one's racism. To support the military (globally) is a nice way to pronounce ones's bigotry and indifference to the plight of other peoples, other countries. The proclamation of support is a thinly disguised declaration of hate.
I don't support soldiers or policemen and women globally either. To do so would jeopardize any sense of integrity, honor, and critical thinking ability that I have tried to embrace. And most importantly, I decry the members of those organizations or my sounding community that would urge me to do so.
Let me start again - I support all members of the military, police, and other social and civic employees who act honorably and ethically. Those who do not condone the improper actions of their peers, let alone assist in the cover up of said offenses. I have much less faith in the organizations they work for and the demagogues who occasionally lead them. I have remarked in the past how amused I am by acquaintances who have almost total distrust of the government while gleefully supporting any military action the same politicians initiate. These people and organizations represent incredibly responsible and important functions in our society - they should be held to a commensurate level of accountability.
As a teacher, I would make the same parallels. I have failed at times in what I do. I have failed to indict peers who have victimized students in the past. I don't want any ascribed recognition or respect for my career choice - I want to continue to earn it. I don't need to be thanked incessantly for what I do, or the services I have provided for my country and the international community. Instead, I would prefer to be judged fairly and honestly, making the good things I do even more sincere in the wake of my failures.
Being a male, I sometimes chuckle at guys in the military and the police force. They are macho and loud, feeding off of glory yet to be obtained. The folks I know (family and friends) who have served honorably, have done so quietly and humbly. I have seen my share of weak and corrupt policemen, and I have to remind myself constantly that they are a very small but impactful minority. Each one of those anomalies wipes out countless poignant and genuine human interactions police personnel make in their communities every day if the proper perspective is not held. And no, it is not my job alone to balance these things, this is a responsibility of the organization they belong to. To do less and to demand respect is cowardly.
I have often said that good teachers deserve the pedestal society would place them on. But I often find that those teachers who fall short expect the same elevation, and we feed into this when we decide to pretend that the whole profession deserves our respect and esteem. It is difficult for me to fathom how some people in  many walks of life want the honor, distinction, and entitlement of the badge, uniform, title, without performing the duties and selfless service that underpin the reverence a society justly bestows upon them.
So, if you are soldier, cop, teacher, lawyer, doctor, etc. who does your job lawfully, ethically, and humanely, you have more than my support - you have my respect and that part of my admiration that comes from that quiet place in my heart that truly wonders if I could do what you do. But I will not mindlessly afford these gestures to everyone who would pretend to do what you do so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment