Wednesday, June 7, 2017

A Little DNA


This board is in our department break room. We had our college photographer print several pictures from my trip to the Congo and one picture of Carmela's trip to Tanzania. He put them on canvases, but they turned out sort of small. We originally just put them on the wall, but they were swallowed up by the large space. I took some of the leftover hickory floorboards from Kipp's house and used the scraps from Patricia's door to trim it out. I like these pictures - at 1 o'clock, is the picture of the bunk bed the camp carpenter and I designed for one of the blind students and his four children. At 4 o'clock is the Pelagie Tree. Pelagie was the very efficient and friendly administrative contact I had in Zongo who helped me with all my needs. I named this tree after her, and her curves, and the drivers had a lot of fun teasing her about it. At 6 o'clock, there is a picture of one of the town children peaking in on a lesson I was giving. At 8 o'clock, there is a picture of Carmela ascending part-way up Mt. Kilimanjaro while on a study/service trip to Tanzania. At 10 o'clock, there is a picture of Christine, Benjamin, and one of Juliet's daughters who the B260 staff donated dress materials for. At the center, there is a picture of me working with the Girl's Empowerment Group at the carpenter's shop. They were making the furniture for their new English Club space. It's nice having these various memories and artifacts nearby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment