Friday, December 7, 2012

Amira - New Levels of Admiration

I had written a post about Amira a short while ago, and I continue to work with her. Soon, she will move on to regular ESL classes and I will no longer tutor her. We have met faithfully for most of the term, twice a week. Amira is about 4'9' tall and couldn't possibly weigh more than 90 pounds. She always wears very elegant Yemeni clothing, and never fails to don a smile when I come into the conference room. We have developed our rituals, and teasing plays a large part, at least on my part. Homework is always a large bone of contention, with me chiding her with taunts that she doesn't really have any competing responsibilities, and her tilting her head and giving me a look only an overworked mother could. We work for an hour each session, and I would suppose that she did several hours of homework assignments between them. We do some grammar, read dialogue, and do activities in two workbooks. We have yet to have a lesson without laughter and without me marvelling at the strength in that small body.
The other day, we were following a lesson where she had to read questions about a family and respond with her personal information. I was shocked by her answers, not expecting them. I discovered that she was dealing with circumstances far more difficult than I  had ever imagined. She told me about them (in the context of the lesson) and I asked just a few questions to make sure I was comprehending. I looked at her and realized for the thousandth time in my life how blessed I was and how insignificant my problems were. She was not saddened by the exchange or deterred by any means. We continued on with the lesson and she told me she wanted to attend the Saturday morning conversation group this weekend. She smiled as we ended the session, and I returned her smile far less playfully than was my custom, and I neglected to tease her about her schedule or impending homework.
God packs His grace in small and humble places, and I am so grateful for the occasional glimpse.

No comments:

Post a Comment