Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Attagirl

After a few weeks on the job here, I offered the faculty to send the following note to any students who worked very hard and succeeded in their courses this past spring. I was very touched when more than fifteen of these teachers put forth names (none of the faculty at my last stop cared to do so). What a wonderful indication that I have landed in the right spot!

May 30, 2012

Dear Andrea,


I am writing to congratulate you on your achievement in Professor Hill’s class this past Spring term. She has identified you as an exceptional student who has worked very hard and diligently and has made the most of your learning experience. You should be very proud that you distinguished yourself in this manner – students who take these courses and succeed do very well in the rest of their academic careers!
I wish you well as you continue your education, and if I can ever help, I would be more than happy to do so. You can always stop by and visit with me. Good luck and keep up the fine work.
Sincerely,

Michael Morsches

Equally impressive, Andrea's response was only one of a few dozen. And yes, Andrea stopped by one evening and we chatted for half an hour or so, a single mom returning to school to change her life - I have a very, very cool job!


Dear Mr. Morsches,


I'm just in awe right now!! I thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. I really needed to hear that from you and Professor Hill. I feel so blessed to have met her spring semester. I don't know what I would have did without her. It's been so long since I've been in school and things were kind of confusing and sometimes no offense but some teachers, and counselor's are not like you and Professor Hill lol. I'm sorry but I'm just keeping it real. God does all things for a reason and somehow Professor Hill and I just connected. Times have really changed from when I was in school. Now Mr. Morsches be careful of what you say lol because I will be contacting you if I have any problems lol. Professor Hill also told me to keep in touch with her even though I'm not in her class which I thought was really nice of her. It takes a good teacher to bring out the best in a student she had so much faith in me, more than I did in myself. I will definitely come by to meet you Mr. Morsches. I'm in summer school are you on campus this summer? Let me know and I will stop by and introduce myself. Thanks once again sorry if I have any fragments Professor Hill is teaching me in that area lol. God bless you Mr. Morsches. Looking forward to meeting you.


Andrea


3 comments:

  1. This sounds so YOU, Michael!
    Glad to see you are holding to your student-centered approach, no matter where you work.
    What a great start at a new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue! I had a lot of great role models like you in my formative years. Hope you are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creativity.......:)

    ReplyDelete