Saturday, October 30, 2010

Angst About Asha and Todd


I cannot remember the last time I was excited about a new television show. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have followed a half-hour sitcom since I was in high school. It has just been too difficult to arrange my life to be somewhere for 30 minutes one evening each week. I have watched many shows in syndication though, usually online or later in the evening. This year was different however, as I was very intrigued by the new comedy, Outsourced, I really believed it had potential.
Perhaps it was because of my fond experiences supervising Indian students at the University of Akron and Cleveland State University. And the initial trailers were very funny. They dealt with my two favorite topics quickly: The "yes head shake" and "vindaloo." There is a charming cast of actors and actresses with a lot of potential. The characters are human and funny, and the cross-cultural mayhem is obvious. I wasn't that impressed with the lead character, a young American named Todd, nor was I pleased with the other western characters, but the Indian actors really are worthwhile. Particularly Asha, the savvy, intelligent young woman who is meant to give Todd a run for his money. She has a foot in both worlds, understanding the eccentricities of the American company she works for, but dedicated to following the customs of her own culture, even acquiescing to an arranged marriage. I really thought this show would be different, at least for awhile.
There have been some really nice moments, not overly sexual or base. Like the time Manmeet, the young girl-obsessed employee is discussing courtship with Todd. He wants to know what "first base" is and Todd tells him it is kissing. He is astounded, the asks if second base is living happily ever after. Todd is confused and asks him if he knows there are four bases (American baseball metaphor), and Manmeet replies, "no, we have Cricket and it only has two bases." I laughed for a long time at that.
Since it is an American comedy supposedly occurring in India, there has to be some degree of controversy. I thought they could play with a few issues, but that there was an opportunity to show a bit of cultural sensitivity, making it all that more interesting. I thought wrong. In only the fourth or fifth episode, Todd is found kissing Asha, something that would never be shown in India, and completely out of character for the bright young woman, so much more together than her young American boss. I was very disappointed, and the other western characters have taken the humor to lower places.
Perhaps I should have known better, after all, The Office has become completely disgusting in its sexual innuendos. I am a bit saddened by the fact that we couldn't have an intelligent and cute comedy between two cultural worlds, but maybe I am the only audience for such a show. I don't think I will continue to keep watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment